There’s been a bit of fuss around the re-release of the Nokia 3310, a classic phone with very little to offer aside from calls, texts, and the classic game snake! Here at Uni Study Skills we’ve been using old mobile phones for a while, simply because, as much as we marvel at the amazing power of technology to impact every part of our lives, we get fed up of being constantly distracted. You know what it’s like, you quickly check the time on your phone only to be completely sidetracked by your latest Instagram notifications or a Facebook message you just have to respond to right away.
So here’s the challenge: find yourself a second hand mobile phone, yes that’s right not a smart phone, get yourself a free SIM card and put that in your smart phone. You can still use it but try to see it more like a tablet rather than the centre of your universe. You can then leave it turned off through the day or even leave it at home. You’ll be amazed at how much clearer your thinking will be without the endless distraction of a magic box buzzing away in your pocket.
Here’s five benefits of using a dumb phone:
- You curb your phone addiction and only use it for calls and texts.
- You don’t need to charge it for days, and days, and days.
- It doesn’t really matter if you drop it, besides it probably won’t break anyway!
- You will rescue hours of your day and be amazed out much better you can concentrate.
- You will save a lot of money on data, just use free WiFi on your smart phone if you really have to use it from time to time.
Post a comment below if you have tried this or know of any other tricks to stamp out a smartphone addiction.